Start Date & Locations
Graduate with a Four Piece Heavy Equipment + MELT Z Certificate of Completion
- Heavy Equipment portion includes 7.5 weeks practical in machine training and 3 days of in class theory
- AZ training includes 1.5 weeks of in class theory and 3.5 weeks of behind the wheel driving
- Textbooks included
- Surface Miner Common Core Modules necessary to access pits and quarries included
- One on one instruction in cab
- Observation and use of our truck simulator are always available for no extra charge
- 2 AZ Road Test attempts included with tuition
NEW PROGRAMS BEGIN EVERY MONDAY and are offered YEAR-ROUND!
Approved as a vocational program under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005, this 13-week program includes both classroom and practical training. Students will engage in various activities to help prepare for a career as a Heavy Equipment Operator and AZ Truck Driver.
The Four Piece Heavy Equipment portion is 8-weeks in length and provides students with experience on 4 different pieces of equipment – excavator, dozer, loader and grader. Students will obtain knowledge of maintenance, walk-around inspections, workplace safety, operation and more.
The MELT Z (AZ) truck training portion is 5-weeks in length and provides students with the mandatory requirements as set by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario’s (MTO) Mandatory Entry-Level Training (MELT) standard to obtain their AZ license. This program includes both in-class theory and practical behind the wheel training. Our trucks are all standard transmissions, ensuring that our students obtain a full AZ license without restrictions.
- Employment in the Commercial Vehicle Industry
- Vehicle Components & Systems
- Basic Driving Techniques
- Professional Driving Habits
- Tractor-Trailer Off-Road Tasks and Manoeuvres
- Documents, Paperwork, and Regulatory Requirements
- Vehicle Inspection Activities
- Hours of Service Compliance
- Cargo Securement & Loss Prevention
- Handling Emergencies
- Air Brake
- Introduction to Common Core Surface Miner
- Loader, Bulldozer, Excavator and Grader Operation
- Walk Around
- Inside Cab
- Fluids and Maintenance, Trenching and Buried Utilities
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a minimum Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent (online equivalency test available)
- Must hold valid Ontario G drivers licence
- Must have approved MTO medical forms that meets visual, hearing and medical requirements for a class A licence
Hear it from our graduates!
I choose this academy because it offered exactly that I was looking for, and after talking with other schools I felt NCA was the right fit for me.
How to apply?
Inquire online or in-person at 1 Fisher Road, Garson, Ontario P3L 1N3
Get in touch
Northern Construction Academy
1 Fisher Road
Garson, Ontario P3L 1N3